Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Reflection #1: Having a Blast in the Deep End!

As I mentioned in my first post, I likened beginning this course to standing on the edge of the diving board for the second time, now knowing what happens next, and not being quite sure that I wanted to take a second plunge. Now, that I am a few weeks back in the pool, I am feeling much more comfortable with my edge-of-the-board perch and repeated jumps in. Let me explain…
  • What attitudes, skills, and concepts have you gained from participating in the course so far?
First and foremost, my attitudes about being on-line and immersing myself in the tech world have improved dramatically from our readings and my growing familiarity with various platforms, programs, perks, and features of being in educational technology. I have become more adept at using Twitter, my reader, countless other cool sites and programs, and even blogging, which has made me much more comfortable being online. I have learned that a fully online course can be collaborative, dynamic, and even fun! (past experiences had shown me otherwise) My mind is swirling with everything that I have soaked in over the course of the past few weeks including: Google (aka Big Brother :) ), ECE-tech gurus, wikis in classroom, web-based portfolios (aka blogs!), and much more.
  • What have you learned in the course that you will not forget tomorrow?
Although there is little that I will forget from this course, one tool/ aspect has completely changed me, and I will use it from this point on. It’s my…wait for it…my reader! Wow! Is that an awesome tool! Before the course, I worried about how much time using tech/ being online would take me, and that it would consume my life. I have realized though, that many tech pieces actually make my life easier, and although I am synced with the online world throughout the day, I do not feel overwhelmed by this connection. My reader is the number one reason that this is the case. Before knowing about it, I was checking different sites, blogs, and online features every day, typing url addresses in and waiting for the upload. This would take forever! Now, having all of my content delivered to me, especially since I have it on my Android phone, has been a huge time-saver! I always have my phone with me, and I have been using it for email and calendar features for quite some time. Since I am not an avid Facebook user (for various reasons :) ), I find that I don’t have too much to do on the phone while I wait in my day-to-day life. Now, that I have the reader, I find that I can stay current on the aforementioned blogs, sites, and features during this time! Finding awesome ed tech, ECE, and advocacy bloggers to follow has helped me to feel more informed and connected with what’s happening in schools and across the country in a way that I could not be without them. My reader just packages this up so nicely for me—can you tell I love it?
  •  How will you apply what you have learned to your teaching and future learning?
How won’t I? Since the first reading in Reach, my creative and planning wheels have been churning over how I can use what I am learning in this course with my undergrads in the fall, not only for running my own course, but for helping them learn how to use technology in their own future practice as classroom teachers. Although previously, I used various online features including Google sites, docs, and Vimeo in the past, this upcoming semester,  my use of tech in the classroom will be really ramped up in an intentional, meaningful way. Some specific uses that I plan to employ include: a class wiki for sharing, discussing, and posting; a YouTube channel for sharing great ECE social studies lessons and tools; Pinterest, for sharing and commenting on Internet finds as they relate to ECE and social studies; the Digital Citizenship sites that we explored in Module 1 to share with my teacher candidates for their own future use; Brainpopjr.com for sure, for content and future use; and many more pieces. In addition, the goals I hold for my undergrads now include a much more focused and tailored view of how I can help them learn skills to bring technology into their own practices. If you can’t tell already, I am pretty excited about this work, and of course, there will be more to come…

No comments:

Post a Comment